Don’t Balance the California Budget on the Backs of Family Caregivers
In Governor Brown’s proposed FY 2012-13 budget, funding for the 11 state-wide California Caregiver Resource Centers would be completely eliminated.
The Caregiver Resource Centers offer much-needed support in a variety of ways to informal caregivers who are oftentimes overwhelmed, physically, emotionally, and financially, with their caregiver responsibilities.
The California Caregiver Resource Centers are asking family caregivers throughout California to join us in a grass-roots campaign and tell Governor Brown that now is not the time to eliminate funding for California’s families, especially women, who provide the majority of care. California’s senior population is expected to double by 2030 to 8.84 million (18% of California’s population).
Through this grassroots campaign, we are asking Governor Brown and the State Legislature to restore the funding ($2.9 million) to the FY 2012-13 budget.
How you can get involved:
1) The first step is to sign the CRC petition on Change.org. Through this petition, we are demonstrating to Governor Brown and to the California State Legislature that family caregivers should not be expected to take on this challenge alone.
2) Next, share the petition link (http://www.change.org/petitions/dont-balance-californias-budget-on-the-backs-of-family-caregivers) with your friends, family, and networks. This could include adding a link to your website, providing a summary in your newsletter, or can be as simple as posting the link to your Facebook page and asking your friends to sign the link.
3) Send a letter to your state elected officials. The California Caregiver Resource Centers will deliver the signatures that we gather to the Governor and the State Legislature, but receiving a letter in the mail is another powerful reminder that caregivers matter. Here’s an example letter to get you started, and putting in your own caregiving experience will make the letter stronger.
4) Send a letter to the editor or submit a guest Op-Ed to your local newspaper about the importance of supporting family caregivers. We are providing a few resources below if you need any statistics.
5) Stay engaged. The CRC’s will call on your support in the coming months, and this could include asking you to make visits to your legislator’s offices, making phone calls, or sending additional letters.
We thank you in advance for your support, and like you, we believe that California’s 6 million family caregivers deserve better.
Statistics on caregivers in California:
Stories about Caregiver Resource Centers
Videos about Caregiver Resource Centers:
1) Southern Caregiver Resource Center 25th Anniversary: Interviews with family caregivers
2) Southern Caregiver Resource Center 25th Anniversary: Message from Former First Lady, Rosalynn Carter